As you guys know, I’m due with my second baby in August. I'm trying to decide if I should transition Nic, who just turned two, to a "big boy bed" now, or if I should wait after the baby is born. Currently, he's very happy in the crib and he's never tried to climb out, but I have some concerns with waiting until the baby is here to make the switch.
Here are the two scenarios I'm considering (but I could be missing a better option):
Option #1: Keep Nic in his crib until a few months before the new baby will be ready to sleep in their shared bedroom (baby will be in a co-sleeper with us for the first several months). Then, about a month or two before we’re ready to put the baby in the room with Nic, we’d transition Nic to big bed, and leave crib empty for at least a month. After Nic is adjusted to the new bed and the crib has been empty a while we would move the baby in. This seems like a great plan, except for two things. First, I’m going to have a planned c-section (I promise to write about my VBAC thought process!), and I won’t be able to lift Nic in and out of the crib for several weeks. Second, I really don’t want him to feel like he’s being pushed out of the crib by the baby, or for us to feel a time crunch to move him.
Option #2: Get big bed now and get Nic used to it before baby #2 comes. His preschool teacher even suggested giving him the choice between crib and bed each night since we have about nine months until we really need the crib. My primary concern with this situation is that even if he's well-adjusted to the bed before baby arrives that he'll regress and start getting out of bed at night when baby comes. All we need is two night-waking kids!
I would LOVE to hear what you all did and how it worked out for you. I need your advice!