This is the decision I’m facing. Nathalee wrote about her reasoning for a scheduled c-section but according to my OB, my odds of having a natural birth are much higher...so here I am debating which route and I’d love your input.
Let me start by saying I don’t have regrets about my first c-section. I don’t feel like I was robbed of the birthing experience and my recovery went very smoothly.
There are primarily two reasons why I’m considering a VBAC:
- Recovery is faster and I will be able to pick up my 2-year-old much sooner. I can’t imagine going 6-8 weeks without picking her up. With the new baby entering the picture, I want our transition to go as seamless as possible and my daughter loves me to pick her up and hold her. I worry that not doing this will make her sad, confused, etc.
- This is how babies are “supposed” to be born meaning all the mucus, etc. is squeezed from the lungs as they pass through the birth canal. Anything that is supposed to help my baby I’m all for.
- A c-section isn’t something to be taken lightly. It is serious abdominal surgery.
There are also some reasons I’m considering the c-section:
A c-section is more predictable. I know I will be going in and getting a c-section so it won’t be such a long process.
- I’d like to keep my nether region in good condition. Hey, I didn’t mess it up the first time. I don’t want to start now. One scar is enough!
- The risk of a uterine rupture is higher for mothers who formerly had c-sections though the risk is still just 1%.
This article does a good job of detailing how mothers are affected by each delivery method. I also know that there is a chance that I could try for the VBAC and still end in a c-section. Would that upset me? Well, I’ve done it before, I can do it again. I would be fine with it…I just wouldn’t want the c-section to be because of a uterine rupture.
Still, I’m on the fence as I’ve had some women say vaginal delivery recovery is a piece of cake while others who have had both ways say c-section all the way.
Do you have any insight to share? Thanks in advance!